Overview of program:
The certificate program in Homeland Security teaches and prepares students to obtain entry-level employment in the transportation security industry.
Career information and outlook:
Transportation security screeners ensure compliance with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) regulations. These professionals may screen passengers, cargo, or baggage. They often use tools such as x-ray machines and hand wands.
Employment in the transportation security field is expected to grow by 6 percent from 2012 to 2022.*
- Crowd control
- Emergency measures plan
- Advanced first aid
- Introduction to hazardous materials (HAZMAT)
- Overview of weapons of mass destruction (WMD)
- Types of terrorists
Please visit the Course Catalog page for Core Course listings.
What do students graduate with?
- High School Diploma from Career Online High School
- Career certificate in Homeland Security from Career Online High School
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Data for Occupations Not Covered in Detail, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/about/data-for-occupations-not-covered-in-detail.htm (visited October 17, 2015).