English 1: Grammar and Composition
This course emphasizes the study of grammar and composition. The course is presented in two semesters.
Semester 1 introduces and explores word origins and various parts of speech to prepare students for critical reading and writing. This course also introduces students to practical applications for writing, such as business letters and memos.
Semester 2 provides an analytical overview of grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure to help students improve writing skills, including writing efficiently and effectively. This course introduces students to practical applications for writing, such as cover letters and resumes. It guides students through the steps for writing essays, from prewriting to final draft, and discusses various types of essays.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is aligned to the Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSSI) standards, Florida Sunshine State Standards, and the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Standards.
English 1: Grammar and Composition Semester 1
- ENG 101: Pretest – Grammar and Composition
- Word Origins and Commonly Used Foreign Expressions
- Word Roots, Prefixes, and Suffixes
- Nouns and Pronouns
- Adjectives and Adverbs
- Prepositions and Conjunctions
- Interjections, Exclamations, and Imperatives
- Writing Effectively
- Subjects, Verbs, and Agreement
- Predicate and Subject Complements
- Direct and Indirect Objects
- Verb Tenses, Forms, and Moods
- Faulty Comparisons
- Types of Sentences and Sentence Problems
- Business Letters and Memos
- ENG 101: Test – Grammar and Composition
English 1: Grammar and Composition Semester 2
- ENG 102: Pretest – Grammar and Composition
- Punctuation, Part 1
- Punctuation, Part 2
- Capitalization and Numbers
- Words and the Dictionary
- Making Connections: Transition and Flow
- Cover Letters
- Establishing a Topic, Gathering Information, and Outlining
- Organizing and Writing a First Draft
- Choosing the Right Words: Reviewing and Revising
- Types of Essays
- Exploring Cause and Effect Essays
- Writing Compare and Contrast Essays
- Persuasive and Narrative Essays
- ENG 102: Test – Grammar and Composition